I have a flexible teaching style because every student is different. My goal is to adapt to the best way for each student to learn. We can focus your lesson by having a conversation on a topic you find interesting. If you prefer to study grammar we can find a way to make your lessons a learning adventure. If you want homework, I can email you custom exercises and translate sections where needed.
I have experience working with children and adults from beginners, intermediate and advanced. I taught Spanish for travelers and worked with professionals such as teachers, engineers, economists, interpreters, and doctors.
I am not fluent in English but I have an Intermediate level in English.
Teaching Experience: I started teaching Spanish in 1997 as a Spanish tutor at the Spanish immersion school PROBIGUA . I have taught Spanish online via Speak Shop since 2006.
Education: In 1995, I earned a certificate in Elementary Education. In 2001, I obtained a Bachelor's degree in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language to Foreign Students from Rafael Landívar University. I recently completed my coursework to become an Attorney from San Carlos University. I am now studying for the law exams. I also have a degree as a dressmaker specializing in clothing for women. Here is my Curriculum Vitae.
Degrees/Certificates/Courses Completed for Teaching Spanish
- 1997 - Techniques of Teaching Spanish as a Second Language for Foreign Students, Spanish Academy AmeriSpan
- 2000 - The History and Culture of Guatemala, Guatemalan Literature and Spanish American Literature, Spanish Academy PROBIGUA
- 2001 - Bachelor's Degree in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language to Foreign Students from Rafael Landívar University
- 2002 - Conference “La Calidad Soy Yo”, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo INGUAT
- 2002 - Conference “Excelencia en el Mundo Maya”, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo INGUAT
- 2008 - Medical Spanish for Foreign Students, Spanish Academy PROBIGUA
Personal Information: I am responsible, flexible and my students describe me as a person with a lot of patience. My hobbies are hiking outdoors and I like to make clothes. I like my job because I meet wonderful people. I studied English grammar to the intermediate level and practice when I can.
Schedule: I am usually available:
- Monday to Friday from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm CST
- Saturday from 8:00 amto 5:00 pm CST
- Sunday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm CST
Note: Guatemala is one hour earlier during Daylight Savings Time
"I survived my first Speak Shop lesson without valium thanks to Rebeca. She is extremely calm and knows how to pace the lesson well. I also learned so much about Guatamalan culture that I was unaware of. Muchas gracias, Rebeca!"
Speak Shop Student, 2009
“Before Speak Shop I tried group classes at our local community center and CDs to learn Spanish. I love Speak Shop because the one-to-one classes really focus on my level, interests, and needs. My tutor, Rebeca, is patient, encouraging, and always fun to work with.”
Carol Griffin, a 70-year-old student
Speak Shop Student, 2010
To give you a better understanding of how Rebeca teaches online and who she is, we've included some galleries of her instructional materials (flashcards, text books, etc.), Spanish text books she might use during her lessons and some personal photos.