I am very patient and use lots of different teaching methods to help students improve their grammar and fluency. I am a qualified Primary School teacher and I am also very passionate about teaching Spanish. As a Spanish tutor, I have worked with teachers, doctors, nurses, social workers, engineers and other professionals. I always adapt my classes to the needs of my students so that they are comfortable and get the most out of our lessons. I have experience with students of all levels from the most basic right through to advanced. If you are interested in my culture and my country it would be a pleasure to talk with you about it.
Teaching Experience: I started teaching Spanish in 1998 and I have been teaching Spanish at Speak Shop since 2008. I also teach in-person in Antigua, Guatemala at the Spanish immersion school PROBIGUA. I was voted “Tutor of the Year” in 2011 by my students in Speak Shop.
Education: I studied social work at the University of Rafael Landívar. Here is my Curriculum Vitae
Degrees/Certificates/Courses Completed for Teaching Spanish
- 1997 - Techniques of Teaching Spanish as a Second Language for Foreign Students, Spanish Academy AmeriSpan
- 2000 - The History and Culture of Guatemala, Guatemalan Literature and Spanish American Literature, Spanish Academy PROBIGUA
- 2002 - Conference “La Calidad Soy Yo”, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo INGUAT
- 2002 - Conference “Excelencia en el Mundo Maya”, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo INGUAT
- 2008 - Medical Spanish for Foreign Students, Spanish Academy PROBIGUA
Personal Information: I am hard working, responsible and patient. I love my job, so I enjoy teaching my language. I love to meet people from all over the world and learn a little about their countries. In my spare time I enjoy reading and doing things with my family and friends.
Schedule: I am usually available:
- Monday to Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm CST
- Saturday from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon CST
Note: Guatemala is one hour earlier during Daylight Savings Time
“I started taking lessons with Monica when I couldn't speak a word of Spanish and thanks to her great Teaching I am now working in a Spanish environment and treating Spanish patients. She has been really good at identifying the areas that I needed to improve and customizing our lessons to focus on my problem areas. The lessons are interesting and enjoyable which makes it so much easier to learn with her. I can't recommend Monica enough to anyone starting out or looking to improve their Spanish”
Speak Shop student 2011
To give you a better understanding of how Mónica teaches online and who she is, we've included some galleries of her instructional materials (flashcards, text books, etc.), Spanish text books she might use during her lessons and some personal photos.