For the past 20 years I have been teaching Spanish to students at all levels and ages. My students have been medical professionals, business executives and university professors of theology and literature. I particularly enjoy, and have been specially trained in, tutoring children using a multimedia approach with flashcards, figures, songs and video clips; all based on subjects tailored to the child’s interests and needs. I cover a wide range of conversation topics which I am well versed in; from Literature and Art to Pop Culture and Sports. The lessons are always intended to be fun, interesting and engaging. Students not only learn the Spanish language, but also gain a better understanding of Guatemalan and Latin American culture. Finally, students with interests in cooking and food may elect to incorporate cooking lessons. Not only will you learn to cook local Guatemalan dishes, but you’ll be learning Spanish and the vocabulary used in the kitchen and recipes.
My preferred teaching method is total language immersion, taking into account the student’s level, age, abilities and limitations. I have started group discussion classes with up to 3 students for advanced students. This allows students the opportunity to communicate with each other and have an instructor present.
Teaching Experience: I started teaching Spanish in 1989, and I have been teaching Spanish at Speak Shop since 2007. I also teach in-person in Antigua, Guatemala at the Spanish immersion school PROBIGUA. I was voted “Tutor of the Year” in 2008 by my students in Speak Shop.
Education: I am accredited by the Rafael Landívar University in Guatemala. Additionally, I have taken focused workshops on Hispanic grammar and literature, as well as human relations, medicine, tourism, education, the history of Guatemala and Latin America. Here is my Curriculum Vitae
Degrees/Certificates/Courses Completed for Teaching Spanish
- 1984 – 1986 Secondary School Teacher of Language and Social, Francisco Marroquín University
- 1989 – Training for Spanish Teacher as a Second Language, San José el Viejo school of languages
- 1997 – Conference “Técnicas de Enseñanza del Idioma Español como Segunda Lengua”, AmeriSpan and Associated Schools
- 1997- International Conference of Professional Development for Language Teachers, AmeriSpan Unlimited and Instituto de Cultura y Lengua costarricense
- 2000 - Course of Spanish American History and Literature, Spanish Academy PROBIGUA
- 2001 - University Certified in Teaching Spanish as a Second Language for Foreign Students, Rafael Landívar University
- 2002 - Conference “Cultura Turística”, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo INGUAT
- 2002 - Conference “Excelencia en el Mundo Maya”, Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo INGUAT
- 2004 – Training for Spanish Online Teacher, Speak Shop
- 2006 - ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview OPI Proficiency Guidelines SUPERIOR, American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language, United States
- 2008 - Medical Spanish for Foreign Students, Spanish Academy PROBIGUA
- 2012 - Certified to teach Spanish Classes for Work, Speak Shop & Pronto Spanish
Personal Information: I am a simple person who likes to read, study and help people. I love history and I especially love to read Guatemalan literature. I love to teach and show foreigners my culture and the best of Guatemala so that they might learn to love my country too. I want all foreigners to understand why I am proud to be a guatemalateca.
Schedule: I am usually available:
- Monday to Friday from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm CST
- Saturday from 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm CST
Note: Guatemala is one hour earlier during Daylight Savings Time
"I have been taking classes with Milvia and she is great!! I am learning so much about the Guatemalan culture and politics. She is very patient and fun!! We just finished reading a book of Isabel Allende and it was a great way to learn about Latin America history and Spanish language. Felicitaciones a todos de Speak Shop!!! Muchos exitos en sus trabajos!!"
Speak Shop Student
“I’m enjoying my lessons with Milvia very much and know that my Spanish comprehension has improved a great deal. In addition to learning the language, I’ve really enjoyed getting to know Milvia as a friend and having the opportunity to learn about her life in Guatemala and to see how it is similar and different to my own. Speakshop has provided something greater to me than just a conduit for learning another language; it’s given me the privilege of seeing another culture on a very personal level.”
Emily, Nonprofit Professional
Speak Shop Student, 2010
“Speak Shop is one of the best uses I’ve seen of the internet. The classes are helping me learn the specialized vocabulary I need for my work as a lawyer while improving my grammar, listening and conversational skills. My teacher, Milvia, is great. Instead of spending time on the freeway going to class, I can spend that time studying now.”
Frances, Attorney, US
Speak Shop Member, 2005-2006
To give you a better understanding of how Milvia teaches online and who she is, we've included some galleries of her instructional materials (flashcards, text books, etc.), Spanish text books she might use during her lessons and some personal photos.